Director, Lt. Col. Bryant A. Murray Veterans Center
Excelsior College is seeking applicants for the position of Director of the Lt. Col. Bryant A. Murray Veterans Center within the Center for Military Education.
The Director of the Lt. Col. Bryant A Murray Veterans Center is responsible for planning, managing, and coordinating the marketing, promotion, and outreach activities, and further the development of resources and services to increase awareness of the Excelsior College Online Veterans Center. The position requires a strong commitment to non-traditional higher education for adults and specifically veterans, the ability to represent Excelsior College within the wide academic and military/veteran community, and the ability to work independently and in a collaborative manner with all levels of professional and support staff. Travel is required.
Working in cooperation with the Director of Veteran Services and Outreach and reporting to Executive Director, Center for Military Education, the Veterans Center Director will
- Develop and promote services available to veterans
- Promote increased use of veterans benefits
- Enhance communication to veterans and related organizations
- Serve as an advocate for veterans issues
- Work toward unit and College strategic planning goals related to the Veterans Center
- Promote and increase the use of the Veterans Center by conducting strategic marketing,outreach activities, and participate in conferences.
- Develop a strategic outreach program and conduct outreach activities for the internal promotion of the Veterans Center in collaboration with Excelsior's:
- Center for Military Education
- Enrollment Management
- Financial Aid
- Career Services
- Center for Professional Development
- Center for Educational Measurement
- Schools of business and technology, liberal arts, nursing, and health sciences.
- Maintain current knowledge of rules and regulations pertaining to veterans benefits, programs, resources, and opportunities.
- Participate in veteran and military professional organizations.
- Improve and execute veteran academic and professional interaction in the Veterans Center through social media to inform and engage student veterans on education, career, veteran related services, and events.
- Develop and distribute promotional materials for internal and external staff, and faculty on special issues pertaining to veterans.
- Take responsibility for the maintenance,further development, and enhancement of the Veterans Center.
- Manage veteran resources offered through the Center and search for new resource opportunities.
- At the request of the Executive Director, Center for Military Education, represent the Veterans Center at military meetings (external and internal), attend conferences, and conduct presentations at military installations and veterans organizations nationwide.
- Work toward unit and College strategic planning goals and military/veteran enrollment and course goals.
- Master's degree from a regionally accredited United States institution or an equivalent, nationally recognized foreign institution of higher learning is required.
- Previous experience (minimum 2-3 years) in veteran education, veteran affairs, military education, or program management preferred. Experience must include a background of being a military veteran and involvement in the management, implementation of services, mentorship, and social interaction of an online or traditional veterans center.
- Strong program management skills.
- Ability to motivate, inspire, lead, and manage others.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Demonstrated integrity and trustworthiness, while setting high standards, clear objectives, and driving for results.
- Ability to take on work beyond basic responsibilities.
- Knowledge of learning theory and training strategies.
- Strong analytic and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work with diverse populations.
- Excellent organizational and decision making skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to review/prepare accurate detailed documents.
- Ability to master a wide body of factual information with a high degree of accuracy and detail.
- Proficient computer literacy and willingness to learn new applications.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information online, or by mail:
Human Resources Office
Director, Lt. Col. Bryant A. Murray Veterans Center Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, New York 12203-5159
We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance our ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase our potential to serve a diverse student population.