Program Director, Social Sciences School of Liberal Arts
The School of Liberal Arts (SLA) at Excelsior College seeks applicants for the position of Faculty Program Director, Social Sciences.
The School of Liberal Arts offers undergraduate majors and courses in social science, including sociology and a range of other liberal arts majors and concentrations. Courses are offered fully online.
We seek a Program Director who is broadly trained in the field of social science and comfortable in an interdisciplinary environment. Specialization may include sociology, political science, economics, or related fields. Ideally, the Program Director should be familiar with the principles of adult learning and have prior experience in nontraditional and online education.
The Program Director leads course development efforts in social science and manages instructional faculty in that field. The successful candidate will be a team player, able to set and meet deadlines and is knowledgeable in curriculum development/review, adult learning strategies, instructional design, and technologies.
This is a non-tenured, 12-month faculty position with administrative responsibilities based in Albany, NY.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Curriculum Development, Implementation, and Evaluation
- Identify and recruit faculty for instruction and course development/revision.
- Plan and oversee online course development and revision.
- Plan course offerings and oversee course delivery.
- Assess course and program outcomes as appropriate.
- Conduct faculty evaluation as required by the College.
- Work collaboratively with College staff and faculty to resolve policy or curricular issues.
- Collaborate with other units within SLA and at Excelsior College to ensure the quality of course instruction and growth of the programs.
College and School of Liberal Arts Responsibilities
- Participate in:
- SLA and College-wide committees and activities.
- Activities supporting the College's strategic plan and the goals of the School of Liberal Arts.
- Marketing and outreach activities.
- Quality improvement and customer satisfaction activities.
- Collaborate with other units for the provision of student services.
- Represent the College at professional meetings and forums.
Professional Development and Community Involvement
- Engage in scholarly activities.
- Participate in activities in service to the advancement of interdisciplinary studies.
- Participate in continuing education and professional development activities.
- Earned Doctorate in a social science field from a regionally accredited institution is required, ABD (all but dissertation) status will be considered.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational as well as oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely by phone, letter, email, and face-to-face.
- Experience in higher education in a full-time teaching or administrative capacity highly preferred.
- Experience with non-traditional/adult learners highly preferred.
- Experience with online learning highly preferred.
- Experience with Blackboard helpful.
- Knowledge of basic multimedia tools a plus.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information online, or by mail:
Human Resources Office
Program Director, Social Sciences School of Liberal Arts Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, New York 12203-5159
We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance our ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase our potential to serve a diverse student population.